Thanks, Sam. It makes it through 20 or so pages of the dump so I am going to
guess the '\0' in the title is not the problem.

The plot thickens. I *still* can't test (mostly to see if the problem is
solved by different CEERUN libraries) due to an unrelated bit of sysprog
foolishness on my V1R11 and V1R12 systems, but the problem goes away if I
compile with

OPT(2)   INLINE NOTEST NOGONUMBER

(my standard release options) rather than

OPT(0) NOINLINE   TEST   GONUMBER

(my standard test options) I guess because CEE3DMP can't do the variable
displays that it is trying to do when it blows up. I said in the OP that I
thought it had worked under V1R10 but I was not sure if something had
changed; perhaps what changed is that my original testing was with the
release options, I don't know.

Seeing as having this code work at customer sites is what is important to me
(the error is annoying but does not really hurt anything on a test system) I
think I am going to declare a victory.

Thanks, all.

Charles