-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Charles
Mills
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 4:43 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: FTP userid propagation

I just posted the NETRC question but perhaps I should
instead ask the fundamental underlying question. Here
is what I want to do.

I want to have a program ABC running in a "normal"
batch job that might be submitted by any of a large
number of TSO users invoke FTP and have it log on to a
remote z/OS FTP server and, among other things, submit
a job. I have complete control over the INPUT (command)
file which is built on the fly.
Here is the key question: I would like the FTP logon to
be with the userid of the original user who submitted
the batch job. Do any of you creative souls want to
suggest a reasonable way to do this?

A file with possible userids and the associated remote
passwords fulfills the letter of the above specs but is
obviously totally unacceptable from a security point of
view.

I don't think NETRC does the job because a "local"
NETRC is a security disaster and a "global" NETRC file
would only provide one userid and password for the
remote machine -- my whole point is I want to
"propagate"
each individual user id.

Please don't ask "why do you want to do it that way?"
The answer is "I don't, the customer does."

Charles Mills

For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access
instructions, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html