shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net (Shmuel Metz  , Seymour J.) writes:
> And many others. Unlike CompuServe, the typical BBS didn't use a
> proprietary protocol. For that matter, neither did fido.
>
> BTW, I know of at least one BBS that supports zmodem over telnet.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012b.html#46 What s going on in the redbooks site?

there was also tymshare and its tymnet network
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tymnet

tymshare provided online vm370 service
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tymshare

... and in Aug. 1976 started offering its online computer conferencing
service free to SHARE as VMSHARE ... archive:
http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare

later in the 80s, this was expanded with PCSHARE.

I made arraingements to get regular distribution of the VMSHARE (and
later PCSHARE) files for putting up on internal machines ... some
old vmshare related email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#vmshare

... including the world-wide online vm370/cms based sales&marketing
support HONE system
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hone

one of my biggest problems was convincing the lawyers that IBMers
wouldn't be contaminated by reading VMSHARE files.