Only yesterday I solved a similar problem with calling a cobol module from
rexx. The cobol routine was called some 100,000 times with a 5 to 10 cs
overhead (elapsed). That really hurt.

In my case the cobol was only a veneer to some existing extensive assembler
code. So I rewrote the veneer in assembler (rather clumsily, I don't do much).
The job now ran in under 8 minutes rather than being cancelled after 4+ hours
(I gave up on the job). I profiled my rexx btw, it does rather a lot of work
and the slowdown could have been anywhere. I write a lot of code in rexx and
try to concentrate on good modular design, and only worry about performance
when problems arise (known really poor practice avoided of course). Usually
even surprisingly rexx is not the root cause, as was the case here.

Anyway the I am nonetheless very interested in ceepipi. Writing assembler
veneers is not a generic solution. I'd like to investigate calling ceepipi from
rexx so I can consider calling COBOL from rexx without concern. Could you (Jan
Moyersons in particular, re stored procedure) share your code for ideas? Has
anybody else been down this route?

Thanks
--
Julian Levens