Allan,

Thanks for your valuable informative explanation.  Much obliged.

________________________________
From: "Staller, Allan" <allan.stal...@kbmg.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Tuesday, 7 February 2012 9:32 AM
Subject: Re: IGD17380I - WARNING MESSAGE

<snip>
Do you see any problems besides the warning messages we could encounter because
of the High/Low threshold?
</snip>

Nope!

</snip>
  Allocation/migration Threshold :             High . . 55  (1-99)  Low  . .
1   (0-99)
  Alloc/Migr Threshold Track-Managed:  High . . 85  (1-99)  Low  . . 1   (0-99)
  Guaranteed Backup Frequency  . . . . . . NOLIMIT  (1 to 9999 or NOLIMIT)
  BreakPointValue  . . . . . . . . . . . .          (0-65520 or blank)

To answer your question about the type of migration being performed we do not
run INTERVAL migration. Secondary Space management is run instead.

The reason why the High/Low value is set is because of several space problems
were encountered in the past.  The customer did not want extra DASD allocated
in this pool so a decision was taken to have the dsns in this particular pool
migrated at a faster pace.  I am not sure if this was the right decision,
however it could be a co-incidence that ever since the threshold was adjusted
(2 1/2 years ago) no more space problems were encountered.
</snip>

Secondary space management and interval migration both function on the same
principle. If the SG occupancy is above the high threshold, migration begins,
and continues until the low threshold is reached (subject to eligibility for
migration based on the MGMTCLAS). Your low threshold seems good based on what
you are trying to accomplish. The high threshold *might* need some tweaking.

The only problem being encountered is the warning message, which is just that,
a warning that the SG occupancy is above the threshold. Given you current
thresholds, I see very little problem with doing nothing.

After all, there are only three choices:
1) add space to the pool which seems to have been previously rejected as a
solution
2) adjust the threshold to eliminate the message
3) live with the message

One other thing that *might* bring some relief is to examine the contents of
the pool for things that shouldn't be there, for whatever reason. E.G. a
mgmtclas assigned that prevents migration

HTH,