In <0156585592475057.wa.mvsjes2sympatico...@bama.ua.edu>, on
02/14/2012
   at 07:06 AM, Dan D <mvs-j...@sympatico.ca> said:

>Subject: 5 Byte Device Addresses?

ITYM 5-digit device addresses[1], unless you're talking about 4-bit
bytes. IAC, the subchannel-set identifier (SSID) is not formally part
of the Subchannel Number.

>I'm wondering when 5 byte UCBs

The UCB is not the device address, it's a control block.

>UCBCHAN in a z/OS 1.12 and 13 system's MODGEN still shows as 2
>bytes. How do you get 5 hex characters represented out of 2 bytes?

The last I heard, device addresses for base exposures were limited to
CSS 0, so 4 digits is adequate. As for alias addresses, I assume that
part of PAV was adding new fields to the UCB; check IEFUCBOB or the
data areas manual (It's one of the diagnosis manuals, but I don't
recall the exact title.)

BTW. the description of IPL in PoOps only mentions the 4-digit device
number, not the SSID.

[1] More properly, 5-digit Subchannel Numbers