Just to play the Devil's advocate for a bit, it depends on how you
define "dataset name". I agree, in Linux (and as a stretch, Windows), if
you specify the entire file path, starting from the root, you don't need
a catalog.

But if you think of a file within a given subdirectory as a dataset
equivalent and the subdirectory path as a "volume" equivalent, then you
could use some sort of "catalog". Of course, such names are not
guaranteed to be unique. In fact, there are almost certainly duplicates
such as each user's .profile file.

Linux addresses this issue via a utility called "mlocate". It runs
periodically, usually once a day during a low activity time, via
crontab. And, as you immediate can tell, it is not real time. Files get
created and deleted without an immediate database update. Hum, might be
interesting to see about using the inotify interface to implement a
"real time" update to the mlocate database.

I wonder if z/OS UNIX has something to monitor UNIX filesystem events.
Something to think about.

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><