Greetings Listers. The Share requirements committee is investigating a rather
old requirement, SSSHARE011025, which asks for a way to specify, whether GDG's
are cataloged at Step end or Job end. There's currently a usermod floating
around that does this, I believe it's referred to as the Brylane GDG mod.

Does anyone else use this mod? Would this requirement be beneficial to you?
I'll paste the entire requirement below. Thanks for any and all thoughts,
comments, snide remarks. :)

Mary Anne

SSSHARE011025
Title:  JOB OR STEP LEVEL GDG RESOLUTION OPTION.

 IBM should provide a facility in JCL such that users could use GDG base name
resolution to occur, either at STEP end or JOB end. The installation must also
be to specify the default.

Benefit:
 We (and, I suspect, many other sites) prefer that the base level for relative
GDG be updated at step end rather than the current IBM default of job end. This
requires a usermod ZAP to catalog processing forcing the current GDG base level
to be determined from the catalog rather than from GDGNT search. This ZAP must
be reworked whenever the module affected is replaced by PTF maintenance or a
new release level. The choice should be made selectable by the user via the
standard system tailoring mechanisms (i.e., PARMLIB or a user exit). The
usermod ZAP used to cause step end resolution of GDG base level must be
reworked any time maintenance hits the module affected. As OCO code becomes
more prevalent, it will become increasingly difficult to properly refit the
ZAP. Should the GDGNT search function be relocated in full or in part to
another module, it may become impossible to fix the usermod. Since all of our
JCL, job restart, and operational procedures are dependent on GDG base level
being resolved at step end and not job end, this would create a critical
situation, as it would require that we either totally change our JCL and
operating procedures to conform to IBM default job end GDG resolution, or avoid
applying maintenance that renders the usermod unusable.