I'd much prefer the latter, but of course have no idea how much work it would
be.

What is your 'driver' for wanting this feature?  Mine is to eliminate the
requirement of the separate IEFBR14 to do a MOD,DELETE prior to doing a NEW.
Honestly have a hard time understanding how MVS has gone this long with that
kludgey (IMHO) behavior, but...

Frank