On 2/28/2012 9:11 PM, Edward Jaffe wrote:
On 2/28/2012 4:09 PM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 14:51:31 -0800, Edward Jaffe wrote:

On 2/28/2012 8:51 AM, McKown, John wrote:
IOW, damned if I do and damned if I don't (insert hard line breaks, that is).
My advice is not to ever insert any hard breaks. That just makes things worse.
When one relies on software that properly handles format=flowed everything
should work beautifully. Thunderbird seems to support this very well. I assume
Outlook does as well.

I'll take the contrary position.

This ain't a word processor.

I learned long ago to insert line breaks where I want them -- it's the
big key to the right of the home row.

Allow me to restate. What I actually meant to say was not to insert any
GRATUITOUS hard breaks. Obviously, hard breaks between paragraphs is a good
idea. But, hard breaks in the middle of a paragraph become unreadable when
quoted.

I don't think so. As I mentioned earlier, I
insert lots of hard breaks. The key is to
keep lines short and roughly the same width.
I think the result is easier to read and
easier to reply to.

But, of course, YMMV.

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-355-2752
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
  + Training your people is an excellent investment

* Try our tool for calculating your Return On Investment
    for training dollars at
  http://www.trainersfriend.com/ROI/roi.html