on 03/05/2012 at 20:54:38, "Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)"
<shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net> said:

> What do you mean by backdoor? I don't believe that it is what others
were referring to.

By PCFLIH backdoor I mean a routine whose address replaced the address of the
IBM supplied PCFLIH. The backdoor routine received control every time a PC
interrupt occurred and, based on the reason for the PC interrupt it either
emulated the failing instruction using available instructions and returned
control to the next sequential instruction or passed control to the IBM
supplied PCFLIH routine for it to process the PC interrupt. I believe that this
is also what the vendor routine being discussed did.

As I said, the PCFLIH backdoor is just a technique and if it is not the
appropriate technique to use then the vendor should be beat about the head and
shoulders and made to use whatever technique is appropriate for what their
product needs to accomplish.

Gene Pate
CSX Technology
Enterprise Architecture

This email transmission and any accompanying attachments may
contain CSX privileged and confidential information intended only
for the use of the intended addressee.  Any dissemination,
distribution, copying or action taken in reliance on the contents
of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error
please immediately delete it and  notify sender at the above CSX
email address.  Sender and CSX accept no liability for any damage
caused directly or indirectly by receipt of this email.