Alan

> I think you'll find NetView uses ATCCONxx just like VTAM does for deciding
> what is initially active at startup.

You are right in your thinking. Indeed, I did find that the NetView STATMON
component uses both ATCCONxx and CNMCONxx. I even recall changing "...
providing the same service." to "... providing a similar service." to try to
take this into account - but it was obviously insufficient an acknowledgement.

My point was that, if a product was interested in a VTAMLST partitioned data
set, it would need to be provided with the member names - minimally the suffix
of the ATCCONxx member.

Incidentally, I clearly must have known this - all of it - in the days I
enabled STATMON in the NetView implementation I provided for my hands-on
students, 15 to 25 years ago.

I have to confess I was never a "friend" of STATMON and whatever it was called
before some bright spark in NetView development incorporated it alongside NCCF,
NPDA and NLDM. To my mind - as a teacher trying to drum correct concepts into
the minds of students - it tended to reinforce a mistaken picture of the
resources so very often confusingly represented by VTAM statements. I provided
STATMON in the students' NetView only because they might have withdrawal
symptoms if the "tool" wasn't available.[1]

-

> Back to the original question, most sites I have worked at have the VTAMLST
> concatenation in NetView so that members can be browsed from it without
> having to resort to TSO.

Good point - in line with Lizette's suggestion that you should look for
references to VTAMLST partitioned data sets in product JCL. Casting my mind
back, I believe being able to use the NetView BROWSE command for members of
VTAMLST partitioned data sets is built into NetView - and I guess NCCF before
it - documentation. Very probably you should change your "most" to "all".

-

[1] I guess that makes sense only when it is appreciated that, in the second
week of a two-week hands-on class, the student groups implemented their own
small, originally, SNI network which they planned during the first week at the
times they weren't following set exercises.

-

Chris Mason