Checkpoint LEVEL and checkpoint MODE are 2 distinct and unrelated
parameters.

Checkpoint LEVEL is a JES "level set" required for MAS dependencies on
certain functions. If any system in the MAS is not at the required
level, or the checkpoint level is insufficient, the "new function"
cannot be used until the JES2 checkpoint level is changed with the
$ACTIVATE command. Certain levels of JES require a "minimum" checkpoint
level before they can join the MAS. This affects the contents of the
checkpoint datasets .

$ACTIVATE (with no operands) will show you the current level of the
checkpoint, and whether a $ACTIVATE to the "next level" will succeed.

Checkpoint mode is an operand on the $CKPTDEF JES2 initialization
statement and is either SINGLE, DUPLEX or DUAL (I will let you read up
on the difference). This affects the mode of operation of the datasets,
not the contents of the checkpoint datasets.

IOW, a checkpoint may be at level (Z2, Z4, Z11),. and be operating in
(SINGLE, DUAL or DUPLEX) mode at any of the levels.

Using my personal way-back machine, ISTR that OS390 2.4 was the level
that Workload Managed initiators were made available and the checkpoint
level z2 (z4?) was required to implement

WLM inits.

This type of information is typically in presentations at z/Expo and
SHARE. I would check the archives of the appropriate organizations at
the appropriate vintage for your current releases of JES.

There may also be some information on the Redbooks page
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/

The z/OS library can be found here
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/bkserv/index.html with manual
back to z/OS 1.2.

HTH,

<snip>

I am looking for the difference between the JES2 checkpoint level and
checkpoint mode(w.r.t sysplex environment where there are multiple z/os
lpar's of different versions),more specifically difference between z2,z4
modes and the checkpoint level of z/os 1.2.

I have tried to google it and have also checked the z/os manuals but
unable to relate the mode and level in sysplex environment.

</snip>