I can agree that OMVS segments should usually have their own directory.
 It would be possible to have them share a common directory, but in that
case you would usually want to make it ready only, which would prevent some
z/OS Unix stuff from working but not, AFAIK, FTP.

But in order to have complete control over FTP access, you may want to
implement a FTCHKCMD exit.   See the z/OS Comm Server documentation for
details; a sample is provided by IBM.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com