A way to simulate this is to accumulate the stem elements to a string and
then iterate through them.

If jobs is a string of job names...

n = words(jobs)
do i = 1 to n
  job = word(jobs, i)
  if stem_var.job = ?.
  Other_stem.job = 'foo'
etc.

Thank you and have a Terrific day!

Jonathan Goossen, DTM
ACT Mainframe Storage Group
Personal: 651-361-4541
Department Support Line: 651-361-5555
For help with communication and leadership skills checkout Woodwinds
Toastmasters

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu> wrote on 03/21/2012
04:04:34 PM:

> From: "Gibney, Dave" <gib...@wsu.edu>
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Date: 03/21/2012 04:06 PM
> Subject: Re: rexx cpu intensive
> Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
>
> Dave Gibney
> Information Technology Services
> Washington State University

Rexx
> > array. It was some extract from a TMS report. It was originally
> written like any
> > other array with a subscript variable. And a lot of for loops.
> > >   I changed it to use the main key (in this case the tape
> volser) as the index.
> > Elapsed and CPU times where reduced 80 to 90 percent.
> > >
> > Yes, but one must sometimes contend with readers of these
> > lists who insist that Rexx compound tails _must_ be consecutive
> > positive integers, and the count _must_ appear in the .0 member,
> > because that's the way the only example they read did it.
> >

> Much of my growth in this field has been slow and steady.
> The Rexx associative array  realization is one of the "aha moments"
> I still remember.
>
> What I'd really like (is it there and I don't know?) is a:
> for "each" stem_var.
>    say "each"
>    if each = ....
>    other_stem.each = 'foo'
>   etc.
>

> Dave Gibney
> Information Technology Services
> Washington State University
>
> > -- gil

> > send email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

> send email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may
contain legally privileged and/or confidential information intended
solely for the use of the addressee(s). If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, forwarding or
other use of this message or its attachments is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete this message and all
copies and backups thereof. Thank you.