Just about everyone is tired of the USS crap.  IMO, there are three root
causes for all of this waste of time:

1) IBM has now had three names:  Open Edition MVS, Unix System Services,
and now z/OS Unix (System Services).   The first two had usable (and widely
used) acronyms, where as "z/OS Unix " really doesn't.

2) Some folks are of the strong opinion that acronyms *MUST* be unique,
whereas I don't care so long as they are clear in context.   Sure, "USS" is
not an IBM sanctioned acronym - so what?

3) IBM-MAIN thrives on pedantic posts (like this one :-)

Given this situation, I suggest that the polite etiquette in this matter is
to:

a) don't use "USS" since it is not an official IBM acronym for z/OS Unix
b) don't correct someone who does.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com