David is right about your encoding.  Make sure that you have:  export
LANG=C   which is the default.
But the problem might be that you are running the z/OS Unix shell under TSO
OMVS.  If so, set the encoding of your TN3270 emulator to be IBM-1047.
 Even better would be to use ssh to login to a tty shell directly.

But I don't think that this is your only problem...
Since Configure builds a make file, then these command arguments are passed
through the shell.  It looks to me like the parenthesis in
langlvl(longlong) need to be somehow quoted or escaped.   This is tricky,
since the string is supplied as part of a Perl variable (in Configure).

So try adding a backslash like this:

...langlvl\(longlong\)....

if that doesn't work, try double backslashes.

if that doesn't work, let me know and I'll try playing around with this
release myself.   I probably won't get to it today though.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com