You can pass the symbolic PARM to a program and then have the program set
the appropriate return code that the JCL can then use the return code for
branching. In this case you could return 0 or 1.

I often need to execute neither, one or both of two steps. RC=1 or 3
selects the first. RC=2 or 3 selects the second.

A number of times I have needed to pass symbolic PARMs to programs in
order to convert them into something for use in the JCL because the
symbolics don't get interpreted at that point.

It works. There may be other ways that are not intuitive either.

Thank you and have a Terrific day!

Jonathan Goossen, DTM
ACT Mainframe Storage Group
Personal: 651-361-4541
Department Support Line: 651-361-5555
For help with communication and leadership skills checkout Woodwinds
Toastmasters

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu> wrote on 04/18/2012
08:02:20 AM:

> From: Victor Zhang <victor_wor...@yahoo.com.cn>
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Date: 04/18/2012 08:02 AM
> Subject: Re: Execute certian steps based on input parm
> Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
>
> Ok, the proc is like:
> //ABC PROC VER='620'
> //PGMNAME EXEC PGM=PGM
> //STEPLIB DD DNS=LOADMOD.V620
>
> IF VER NOT = '620' i want proc be:
> //PGMNAME EXEC PGM=PGM
> //STEPLIB DD DNS=LOADMOD.V710
>
> So I code:
> //ABC PROC VER='620'
> //IF620 IF (&VER=620) THEN
> //PGMNAME EXEC PGM=PGM
> //STEPLIB DD DNS=LOADMOD.V620
> //     ELSE
> //PGMNAME EXEC PGM=PGM
> //STEPLIB DD DNS=LOADMOD.V710
> //    ENDIF
>
> But it does not work.
>
> Please help.

> send email to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it may
contain legally privileged and/or confidential information intended
solely for the use of the addressee(s). If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, forwarding or
other use of this message or its attachments is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete this message and all
copies and backups thereof. Thank you.