>>John Roberts has resolved your problem.  You need a reusable zero-th
>>step that sets the return code.

Something I have done before is create a little program that accepts as PARM a
list of comma separated values, like:

        //S000 EXEC PGM=TESTPARM,PARM='&SYM,CAT,DOG,COW,MOOSE,SQUIRREL'

The program splits the PARM string into an array.  It then compares the zero-th
positional parameter against all the others and sets the RETURN-CODE to the
index of the first match found, or 99 if there was no match.  In my example, if
&SYM was COW, the return code would be set to 3.

Doing it this way you have a general purpose utility program and you do not
need a special purpose program with the allowable symbolic values compiled
within.

Of course I don't have the source for this anymore - I left it behind probably
10 engagements ago.  But I am sure some lister could recreate in a few minutes.

John