I know of the NULLOUT and NULLOFL options to specify return code setting if
there are no records to be written to the output file.  I'm wondering if there
is any option I can specify so that the SORTOUT file will not even be opened if
there are no records to be written to it.  Basically, I want to leave the "old"
records that were in SORTOUT alone if there is nothing new to go in to it for
this run.

At this point the best thing I can think of is to run SORT twice; the first
time copying one record to a dummy file with NULLOUT=RC4 set.  Then skipping
step 2, the actual copy into the real SORTOUT, if the RC from step 1 is not 0.

If there is a program other than SORT (IDCAMS?) that I can use to accomplish
this, that's fine as well.  No actual sorting is being done; just a straight
copy.

Thanks,
Frank