The possible solutions are not limited to the COBOL XML PARSER; you can use ANY XML parser that supports DOM. We have our own parser which is written in ANSI C and runs on every platform including z/OS and is very small and faster than the very general products from IBM and elsewhere like, for example, Xerces. It builds a DOM tree, which can be easily manipulated, and then you create the changed XML document by using DOM_serialize. We call our parser from PL/1 or C (other
languages are possible, too).

Kind regards

Bernd