On Wed, 2 May 2012 10:49:18 -0700, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

>> Can one replicate the 'look and feel' without copyright issues in the EU
>now?
>
>I might add that "look and feel" might be subject to copyright protection.
>Copyright, again, protects *expression.*
>
>If I wrote a z/OS system monitor that cleverly displayed the status of
>started tasks as bouncing balls of various sizes and colors, that expression
>might be subject to copyright, but the function of displaying the status of
>started tasks graphically would not.

And, if I understand the Oracle claims in the US lawsuit, Oracle says that they
-can- copyright the library specifications and implementation (API) because (I
think) it's a kind of "look and feel" aspect of their Java implementation, even
if they can't copyright the Java language itself.

But that seems to go directly against the EU decision we're talking about here,
since the SAS case seems to revolve around duplication of library APIs, too, if
I understand it correctly.

--
Walt