The IBM supplied sftp server will __only__ transfer z/OS UNIX files! NOT legacy
datasets. But, wait! There is a solution! Dovetailed Technologies offers a
__FREE__ add on for SSH which allows sftp to read/write both legacy datasets
and JES (submit jobs and retrieve job output). You can get this __FREE__ add on
at http://dovetail.com/ . Look for the Co:Z SFTP link. And, while you're at it,
download and install the rest of their really neat Co:Z products. I really like
them. You don't need to register, give an email, or anything else. Just
download and install. And, did I mention, they are FREE!! If you want support
from Dovetail, you can purchase a support contract.

scp, even with the Dovetail utilities mentioned above, does not support z/OS
legacy datasets, only z/OS UNIX files. And will not do binary transfers. With
IBM's modifications to SSH, only sftp can do binary transfers.

Oh, another thing, if you get Co:Z Dataset Pipes, you will get some utilities
(fromdsn and todsn) which can transfer files over an SSH tunnel. There are
MS-Windows (requires Cygwin to be installed on the Windows system), Linux/Intel
(32 & 64 bit), z/Linux, and AIX binaries available. There is also source, if
you need to "port" those commands to some other UNIX environment such as HP-UX
or Solaris.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV