bfairch...@rocketsoftware.com (Bill Fairchild) writes:
> And the general public, many Dilbertian managers, and even some of us
> professional nitpickers, think that a job running 1 hour instead of 10
> is 900% faster, and that 1 is 10 times smaller than 10.  2+2 no longer
> = 5; now it equals chartreuse.
>
> Fortunately architects and engineers know how to use mathematically
> accurate and precise terminology when describing the bridges they
> design and build, or we would have a lot more cars falling off of
> collapsing bridges.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012g.html#29 24/7/365 appropriateness was Re:
IBMLink outages in 2012

Volcker in discussion with civil engineering professor about
significantly decline in infrastructure projects (as institutions
skimmed funds for other purposes & disappearing civil engineering jobs)
resulting in universities cutting back civil engineering programs;
"Confidence Men", pg290:

Well, I said, 'The trouble with the United States recently is we spent
several decades not producing many civil engineers and producing a
huge number of financial engineers. And the result is s**tty bridges
and a s**tty financial system!

... snip ...

old presentation by Jim Gray on availability ... scanned from paper copy
that had been made on copying machine in bldg. 28, SJR
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/grayft84.pdf

the point (from early 80s) was that majority of outages (scheduled and
non-scheduled) had shifted from hardware to software (and human errors).

(early 70s) before virtual memory announcement for 370, a copy of
internal document describing the technology leaked to the press. in the
wake of the following investigation, all internal copying machines were
retrofitted with unique identifier (under the glass) that would appear
on all copies made on that machine.

for other drift ... it has been five years since Jim disappeared and
cal. court recently declared him dead ... reference in (linkedin) z/VM
group:
http://lnkd.in/C2yn7p
also archived here:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012g.html#21 Closure in Disappearance of Computer