IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu> wrote on 05/23/2012
05:39:26 PM:

> From: "Roberts, John J" <jrobe...@dhs.state.ia.us>

> >When the last Cobol programmers walk out the door, so may 50 years
> of business processes within the software they created. Will you be
> ready?

> Ed, Interesting article and fairly accurate IMO.
>
> This is what I can foresee happening:
> (1) Many companies will try to offshore their COBOL application
> support.  But this won't work so well because it is hard enough to
> understand these systems without facing the complications of
> language and arcane terminology.  And the young ones back in
> Bangalore will want to do Java, not COBOL.

Actually the language is not a problem.  We have people here from multiple
nations, some whose English is lacking.  But they can doing the
programming work - well.

The problem is the lack of application knowledge.  We just had a senior
person retire to a ranch in FL.  He was senior person in his critical
application.  He ran a series of weekly one hour technical seminars.  The
problem was that he could answer any question off the top of his head. But
an organized overview and drill down into each part of the system and the
relationship of that system to multiple other systems was not there.

He was used to being a S(ubject)M(atter)E(xpert)/guru.  Ask him a question
and he could answer it or tell you where to find the answer.

Without that kind of person, trying to port the application to anything
else is risky as is training newbies.

> (2) Other companies will want to recruit overseas, either for CS
> grads that they can train, or for those few that are willing to
> invest in COBOL learning if that is what it takes to punch that H1B
> ticket.  But even so, once here they are all going to be looking to
> do something else, not COBOL.  So that company that recruits and
> trains a COBOL resource is going to be looking for a replacement
> within a couple years.

We have had over the years training programs to build new Cobol
programmers.  They work fine.  But again, the application knowledge is not
in books.  It was transmitted by SMEs.

> (3) Efforts to train new young COBOL resources are going to flop, as
> the article mentions.  Again, everyone expects COBOL to be a career
> dead-end once beyond a 5 to 10 year transition period.

Since Cobol is now talking to distributed applications in various ways,
Cobol people are getting exposure to distributed applications.  I recently
had a project transferred from me which was going to have me build part of
an environment that is both mainframe and distributed.  As long as the
documentation is there, there is not a huge chasm to cross.

> (4) In the end, US companies are going to be forced to pay a premium
> just to hang on to their old-timers long enough to buy time to
> implement that new ERP package or new custom application.  The ones
> that will be successful doing this are going to be the ones that
> accommodate their senior developer's desires: lots of time off,
> telecommuting, job sharing, benefits, etc.

Right now at the moment there are enough Cobol programmers leaving other
companies that is still a supply of new people, some of which have fine
skill sets.  But as time goes on, there will be a cliff.

I just returned from Germany.  There was talk there that there is an
"engineering" shortage in the market there.  Never bothered with the
details.  Maybe the recession there will give them time to kick the can
down the road more.  After all, it has been working so well for dealing
with their financial problems.

> John

The information contained in this communication (including any
attachments hereto) is confidential and is intended solely for the
personal and confidential use of the individual or entity to whom
it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
communication in error and that any review, dissemination, copying,
or unauthorized use of this information, or the taking of any
please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original
message. Thank you