That is certainly interesting.  Enterprise COBOL 4.2 (and prior!) usually do a
dynamic allocation of SYSOUT if there is no JCL allocation.  I have run in to
cases where the dynamic allocation fails because the attempt to do it is being
done in an I/O error routine.  I can't recall offhand the exact error, but it's
trying to ENQ a resource that is already enqueued by for the processing of that
file, and thus can't do it for SYSPRINT at the same time.  Or something like
that.  Although I've gotten an abend when this occurs, so maybe its not related
to your issue at all!  :-)
Frank