On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 12:57:19 -0400, Andy White <awh...@metlife.com> wrote:

>We recently have a DOD (Department of Defense) account on our systems.
>Question if you are sending a dump to a vendor e.g. IBM and there might be
>a slight change it has user data stored in common storage. Do you have a
>DOD approved person within IBM you send the dump to? Or an assigned group
>to your account that deals with GSA/DOD type of issues?
>
>We haven't sent any dumps to a vendor since taking on this new work but
>wanted to know how other companies handle this?

It may depend on the sensitivity of the data that could be exposed, but in my
limited experience with classified systems two approaches were taken:

(1) The dump never leaves the customer system. The customer would contact the
vendor support analysts who would ask the customer system programmer to read
them some data from the dump, and if the data was appropriate he would do so.
Then the analyst would transcribe the data, examine it, and ask for the next
piece of data he needed. Cumbersome, but safe (from a security perspective).

(2) The vendor provides a separate data facility with security as required by
the classified customer, and vendor personnel with appropriate security
clearances who will work there. At that point the customer can send the data to
the support facility by an appropriate secure mechanism, and the cleared
personnel can analyze it in their secure facility.  Of course, the cleared
personnel could also work at the customer facility if that's appropriate, since
they have clearances. And in either case, if the cleared analyst lacks enough
education to do the complete problem analysis they can consult with uncleared
vendor analysts, ensuring (just as the system programmer would) that no
inappropriate information is given to them.

Approach (2) can result in faster problem determination, if the analysts have
appropriate training, but it's an expensive undertaking. I know that approach
(1) was used in some cases within IBM, and I know of cases where approach (2)
was proposed. But I do not know for sure of cases where approach (2) was
actually implemented.

But it's important to note that for approach (2) to work you need both the
appropriately cleared personnel, and an appropriate facility for them to work
in. You can't send classified data to the standard IBM Support Center, in my
experience.

For the final analysis I think you really need to ask -your- DoD Security folks
how to handle things, beause only they will fully understand the requirements
that apply in your case.

--
Walt