The V00 allows you to fix a dataset and replace it with V01. Lets say you have G0001V00 through G0005v00 and you realize that G0003V00 is bad. You can run a job to copy and fix G0003V00 to G0003V01. It will still fall as the middle generation of the 5 datasets. I think I had to do that once, but I can't remember why. I believe when you catalog the V01 generation, the old one gets uncatalogued.

Eric Bielefeld

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roberts, John J" <jrobe...@dhs.state.ia.us>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2012 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: Weird thought on misuse of a GDG.

But in today's world, without SCRATCH in the definition, the oldest GDG does not get scratched. It gets "rolled off" the GDG base and becomes a "normal" cataloged dataset entry. So it stays in the catalog, and can be referenced by absolute name. I wonder if this would ever be of some use to anyone.

What happens when you hit G9999V00? Does it wrap to G0000V00 or G0001V00? If so, you could be attempting to catalog a name that already exists. Not a problem for most generation datasets, but I would guess that someone would trip over this someday. Especially if z/OS lasts another 50 years ;-)

Also, what is the significance of the V00 part of the qualifier? I was always led to believe that it was a vestige of something that was never implemented.