we have the same situation here
and we are doing a cpu upgrade from our 2064 because  like you said will
save us money
we are also looking at alternatives to those software products that have
such large cost increase's to the new cpu
we may be dropping one vendors monitoring software because of it and
switching to anothers

                      "Kreiter, Chuck"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU

                      TEAUTO.COM>               cc:

                      Sent by: IBM              Subject:  Re: State of the
Mainframe - News Article
                      Mainframe

                      Discussion List

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      01/24/2006 03:42

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      IBM Mainframe

                      Discussion List

I can't say I understand these articles that talk about escalating
mainframe costs.

At my company, we consistently make deals where we end up with better
storage, faster processors, etc and our costs actually go down.
Whereas, our counterparts in open systems consistently see their
hardware, software and support personnel costs go significantly.  I
don't know if my boss is just a good negotiator or if everyone sees this
trend.  Vendors who have their hand out at every CPU upgrade are
generally shown the door.

Anyone else notice this or are we just unique?

* This message was scanned by State Auto's mail server for viruses and
objectionable content.