At 26 Feb 2006 19:06:59 GMT, concerning "Adabas db 3380 -> 3390",
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote (to IBM-Main):

> The task:
> move existing Adabas datasets from 3380 volumes to 3390's.
> Total DB size is approx. 0.4 TB, planned outage window is whole
> weekend, so there's a lot of time.
> I was told it requires two jobs: backup and restore.
> However I'd like to RTFM. What manual should I start ?
> Any gotchas ?

Radoslaw:
see cut & paste of TechTip below.  The best location for follow-up
questions is [EMAIL PROTECTED]  I don't even know someone
that's been through the process so can't remark on the duration.

I was actually surprised to find that the DBA Reference Manual didn't
cover this.  I've always found the Adabas manuals to be very
descriptive with examples and thought this would have been a common
topic ie. storage media change.  It *is* mentioned in the Utilities
manual if you know where to look ie. AdaOrd RestructureDB, but there
are no detailed examples that I could find.

ps.  Now would be a good time to switch from BDAM to PS datasets for
future use with SMS.  (if you haven't already)

----->  From ServLine24 KnowledgeBase: [requires sign-in]  <-----
http://www.servline24.softwareag.com/SecuredServices/KCFullTextASP/vie
wing/view.asp?KEY=0021504-
13810482&DSN=SCORE&DST=TCD&QUERY=3380|3390&SessionID=9820410&HL=1

DocID: 21504

 Knowledge Center - Technical Tip

ADA - How to migrate Adabas from 3380 device type to 3390 device type

Product:        ADA     Operating System Family:        MF
Version:                Operating System:       MVS
Last Updated:   20. Jun 2003    Document ID:    21504

Symptom:
How do you migrate from 3380 device types to 3390 device types?
Can the database be increased simultaneously?

Resolution:

To migrate from one storage device type to another, Software AG
recommends the following process:

1.  Allocate the datasets you want to use on the new device type using
    temporary names.
2. Run ADAFRM.
3. Run ADADEF against the new datasets.
4. Shutdown the old device type database nucleus.
5.  Run ADAORD RESTRUCTUREDB DBASSODEV=new device type, DBDATADEV=new
    device type.
6.  Run ADAORD STORE ALLFILES using the output data from the ADAORD
    RESTRUCTUREDB job.
7. Rename the datasets, current to old, new to current names.
8.  Review nucleus parms: DEVICE=new device type, DUALPLD=new device
    type, DUALCLD=new device type, DUALPLS=xxx, DUALCLS=xxx.
9.  Change the device parm in all batch jobs and started tasks as
    necessary.
10. Start up the database nucleus with the new datasets.

To increase the size of the database on the new device types,
allocate and format the datasets to the new sizes. ADADEF will update
the GCB with this larger size information. An ADADBS INCREASE does
NOT have to be performed.

---------->  signature = 6 lines follows <--------------
Neil Duffee, Joe SysProg, U d'Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                 fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uottawa.ca/ ~nduffee
"How *do* you plan for something like that?" Guardian Bob, Reboot
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."
"Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent" John Norgauer
2004