-- snip --
> I was told that in order to do this the secondary volume labels' must be
> clipped before I can bring them online but by clipping them I also
> loose the
> primary-secondary volume relationships.  Besides using another lpar or
> other
> 3rd party utilities to run the backups, how does  one handle this
> situation?
You don't need to lose the relationship to do the backup.  You probably
want to backup a point-in-time copy of the volumes, so you can just
SUSPEND the PPRC relationship.  This freezes the copy and makes it
read/write so you can relabel (CLIP) it.  After the backup, you can
RESYNC the PPRC copy, which just copies tracks updated since the SUSPEND.
-- snip --

If you CLIP the secondary DASD, just remember that a subsequent RESYNC will
not copy the label since that wasn't changed on the primary subsystem. You
may want to CLIP it back.

John