On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 07:55:52 -0600, Chase, John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>So at 03:00.00 you start a "conventional" backup process, and at
>03:00.01 the same disaster occurs.  Are you not in the same boat??
>
>    -jc-

Yes John ,but somehow no  :-))
But as i said it was for the sake of the argument .
In my case ,I run a // sysplex on 2 distant sites
I have protected my environment against hardware failure by PPRCing
(synchronous) the entire siteA DASD bay on siteB bay .
If a plane strikes ( forget the laser beam :-) ) one of my bay,i am OK,i
still have my site B with proper data because device end comes back only
once secondary is written .
If some human/application/whatever accident erases my data , i am dead .
For these reasons i need some DR backup , and some legal rules oblige me to
have these cartridges externalised .
To do that , i need a mean , and the easiest way is Db2 log suspend followed
by flashcopy and Db2 log resume then dump my flashcopied disks .
( Joel C. Ewing gave a vey nice description of why we cannot make it without
log suspend)
But as Ron said , Disks are pretty strong these days , raid 5 and 6 are nice
securities , etc etc ...
Bruno
Bruno(dot)sugliani(at)groupemornay(dot)asso(dot)fr