Does DFSMS have a new facility for "dependent writes" that
somehow chains the writes together?  Is it as simple as doing
all the writes in a single channel program with a guarantee
that the perceived updates of the backing store are congruent
with the order of the I/O requests?
As I use the term "dependant writes", it means that the application issues writes in a specific sequence and does not initiate the next one until the previous one is confirmed complete.

In database terms, such as DB2, this means that it
1) issues a write to the log to indicate that an update is going to take place
2) issues one or more writes to the database files to accomplish the update
3) issues a write to the log to indicate that the update is complete

If this sequence is interrupted, such as by a system failure, power outage, remote link failure, etc, then when DB2 is restarted it can tell that the update was not completed from the log, and can back it out (or sometimes complete it). I am no DB2 expert but I understand that this is the way it works (those who can spell DB2 better than I, feel free to chime in). If you can capture your backups at a point of I/O consistency, then when you restore those backups, the same sort of restart can take place. I/O consistency means that there is no possibility that you have backups of the log and database voliumes where #3 was completed, but #2 was not completed. With normal backups, and even with normal "instant replication", I/O consistency cannot be guaranteed. However, EMC, HDS, and now IBM have mechanisms for guaranteeing I/O consistency when you use "instant replication" on a set of volumes. In all cases it involves a way of suspending I/O to all the volumes involved until the replication is complete (a few seconds).
--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR