Paul,

Carriage (aka "printer") control characters are always in column 1 if my OS
education of long, long ago is to be relied upon - in other words I have
eschewed looking up any manuals. The 9 is mentioned because it's the
addition of 1 and 8, in that order - in other words, column 1 for the
carriage control character and columns 2 to 9 for the sequence number - I
guess - but I could be wrong. Maybe Tom has it the wrong way round.

I expect VBM and VBA, actually any xxxA and xxxM, are identical except for
the way the carriage control character is interpreted.

I would be surprised if concatenated data sets could not be used in any
context which expects a sequential data set - but, again, I could be wrong.
Why make complicated exceptions when it's all done for you?

The real reason I'm posting - and again relying on positively antique OS
education - is that I have always treated it as a golden rule of data set
concatenation that the attributes of the first data set in the concatenation
reign supreme - in other words, the attributes of the first data set will be
the ones set in the OS control blocks at the time the data set is opened and
the attributes of succeeding data sets are utterly ignored. Well, I dare say
there may be some exceptions to this rule and this is the perfect forum for
these exceptions to be "flushed out".

Having got to the end of this post and seen a manual reference, I decided it
wasn't fair on my the contributors and audience not to check the manual.
What Tom has given us is very much exactly what section 3.4.4.1.4 SYSTSIN DD
Statement of the said manual says.

Now I'll stick my neck out and suggest that maybe the manual author has got
a few points wrong - including forgetting about the "machine", M, carriage
control character (actually the printer CCW code if my memory serves me
well). Manual authors getting it wrong has also been known from time to
time.

Chris Mason