Skip Robinson wrote:
I know the problem is solved now, but I remember a similarly mysterious occurrence in the past. It was one of those 'this could not possibly be happening' situations. Two systems in a shared DASD environment came to point to two different devices with the same volser. It's unlikely but not impossible if a volume has been copied to a another location so that there's a duplicate volser, and a newly IPLed system varies offline the physical device that other systems are looking at. The result can drive you crazy. ;-)

Your scenario does not cause data lost.
The better is to have two volumes with same volser, believing the systems access each own copy, but the reality is different...

BTW: the problem is not solved, only my test on sandbox system was mistaken. I'll recreate it.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland