From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of TISLER Zaromil
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 11:33 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Enhanced Catalog Sharing

> What is the gain or the advantage of using ECS.

>From an old redbook (Enhanced Catalog Sharing and Management,
SG24-5594-00, July 1999):

---
When CAS opens an eligible catalog and the system is in catalog sharing
mode, as described in "Activating ECS" on page 18, the integrity VVR is
copied into the Coupling Facility structure. Once this occurs, the
systems that share the catalog do not have to read the VVR to detect
change, as they will receive notification from the Coupling Facility.
Also, the requirement to ENQ on the resource is removed because the
Coupling Facility architecture incorporates the necessary locking.
---

and

---
This is an elegant solution to the performance issues. The elapsed time
is reduced because GRS is no longer used, and the number of I/Os is
reduced because the VVR does not have to be read. Also, the new function
fits smoothly alongside the existing reliable and robust code, which
will still be used for non-ECS catalogs. Non-ECS catalogs are now
described as being in VVDS mode, which indicates that the VVR is being
read from the VVDS.

In the rare circumstance of a connectivity or Coupling Facility
structure failure, the ECS catalogs will revert to VVDS mode, allowing
the integrity of the catalogs to be maintained across such a failure.
---

Zaromil

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html