Eureka!

If one digs deep enough (couple miles should do), RMF III will report what
service class a DDF thread was classified into.

The reason I wanted this was because I had a strong suspicion one of my prod
DDF workloads was still falling out of the ruleset to default (suspicion
based on indirect evidence).  Since the workload in question was coming in
through VTAM (all threads through the same LU name), I changed the pertinent
sub-rule to an LN type and they magically started classifying correctly.

I was very curious why CI did not work for these threads.  Using the new
found RMF III info, I discovered that the CI was being sent by the AIX
system in lower case*.  Changed the sub-rule back to type CI and specified
the name in lower case, taking care to specify "N" for "fold qualifier name"
(they sure could have named that more intuitively).  Now the threads
classify correctly by CI.

Thanks a bunch to all who replied!  I learned more than I bargained for in
this little adventure, but that's always (usually) a good thing.

*TMON was reporting this CI in upper case for some reason.  I will report
that to the TMON/MVS folks.