On 3/23/2006 3:12 PM, Gil, Victor x28091 wrote:
We'd like to be able to prevent certain "confidential" fields in production
files from being revealed to "unauthorized" users while still allowing
access to the rest of the record. From the users prospective these files are
read-only and are accessed through TSO, batch or CICS for testing or
comparison purposes.

Do your users access these files through specific applications? If so, you could establish security rules that would allow the users to access the data only when running those specific programs, and not when running other programs of their own choosing.

With RACF, for example, we call that processing Program Access to Data Sets, and you set it up with a PERMIT command of the form PERMIT 'data set profile name' ID(user or group) WHEN(PROGRAM(program name)) ACCESS(READ)

You'll have some additional work to do in setting up the program controls, but this is the usual approach to problems like you describe, other than using a DBMS-based solution.

        Walt Farrell, CISSP
        z/OS Security Design, IBM