Apparently, IBM was/is planning to provide some support for this sort of
function under IBM's TotalStorage brand of products (which I believe
include both disk and tape).  Perhaps your friendly IBM representative
might be able to give your company some insight into IBM's future plans in
this area.

Brian

The following statement of direction was published in Hardware Announcement
105-241, dated July 27, 2005:
  IBM TotalStorage encryption: To address customers' growing concern with
data security, IBM is planning for the development, enhancement, and
support of encryption capabilities within storage environments such that
the capability does not require the use of host server resources (so
called "outboard" encryption capabilities). This includes the intent to
offer, among other things, capabilities for products within the IBM
TotalStorage portfolio to support outboard encryption and to leverage the
key management functions provided by the Integrated Cryptographic Services
Facility (ICSF).

Brian