On Mar 24, 2006, at 4:26 PM, Eric Bielefeld wrote:

I'm pretty sure we don't encrypt any data.  Much of our backups are
compressed, and done with vendor products, however, I don't think that
matters, as all of the data in all of the IMS and VSAM files has been
converted.  I think that only sequential disk or tape data would need
to be converted.

So far, no one has givin me any companies that do this sort of thing.
Does anyone know of any?  Of course, most of you hopefully have never
had to deal with this sort of thing.

Eric,

I have not heard of any MF "application" that does field level security except for possibly DB2. This is not to say their isn't just that it is unusual, IMO. There may be some user code in CICS that selectively displays a field (or not) but that seems to be a transaction type security . There are just too many ways you can access a file that is one of the reasons why people need RACF (or other security package).

Way back in the early 70's I had to have a top secret clearance from the Army so I could help programmers debug their code. One of the dumps I had to look at had the number of toilet paper rolls that was in stock. I asked the programmer why that was top secret and he said the SOviets could figure out how many people the US had in Germany. I suggested to go through parking lots and count the green plates and you would have a better idea.

There were other nonsensical issues, but you get the idea.

Ed