>>Receiving a fair price on any product requires a *credible* market
>>alternative in *your* particular situation. Things that bring
>>credibility  to the discussion:
>>- a project actually underway to switch from one vendor to
>>another
>I would consider it a strategic error to stick with a vendor that has
>forced you to that extreme. If the project is already underway then,
>IMHO, you are better of proceeding to switch.

That's the likely outcome, yes. But I didn't phrase that bullet in
sufficient detail.

Let's suppose there are three vendors: Vendor A, Vendor B, and Vendor C.
Your company has products from Vendors A and B installed but, currently,
no products from Vendor C. Your company is 12+ months from contract
expiration with Vendor A. If you have a project underway to switch one
product from Vendor B to Vendor C, that might put the "fear of God" into
Vendor A and thus demonstrate that you are perfectly capable of switching,
especially if Vendor C is the likely beneficiary.

Otherwise a vendor may not view a switching threat as credible.

- - - - -
Timothy F. Sipples
Consulting Enterprise Software Architect, z9/zSeries
IBM Japan, Ltd.
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]