I believe another question to ask is what are the applications running on
this system. I worked on a Realtime Tracking system using MVT and then MVS
where they had used many of the IBM "spare" control block fields for
things. In that case it was ugly to upgrade. If the applications are just
everyday code, then there is a possibility for upward compatibility. It
can't be too custom if they are accepting a date back in 1990's and
probably postprocessing everything to get it current.

Sounds like an interesting challenge.

Jim Marshall