Hello,
I have a general question regarding the time synchronization across
heterogeneous servers that span thousands of miles apart from each other.
I have a large sysplex and distributed server environment, utilizing an IP
network.  I have an NTP instance running on several of my MF servers, in
which the distributed servers call to obtain the time.  This works fairly
well as there are not great distances between servers.  However, as more
companies are building-out locations that are further apart in distances,
the latency may prove unacceptable.  An example where this may be important
is during troubleshooting, where review of logs, etc maybe necessary.  If
timestamps aren't tightly-coupled, it becomes more difficult to piece
together the picture that led up to an issue.

My question(s) are then: 1) what options are available to maintain time
synchronization?  I've heard of several that may have merit (GPS,
satellite, purchase of own atomic clock).  2) how are other companies
dealing with this? 3) is there a best-practice established for time
synchronization?

Thank you.