From: Marian Gasparovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Sent: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 07:26:35 +0200
Subject: Re: zIIP (Was: Looking for SRB sample in PL/I or COBOL)

DB2 V8, WLM, zOS dispatcher - they decide if piece of work runs on CP or zIIP. Now only some SRBs in some enclaves are dispatched on zIIP. So the "licence" is enforced by code and microcode, you don't have to study legal
stuff for that.
IFL - I am not sure what you mean by "In the VM context, IBM has already delivered software that will run fine on an IFL". z/VM runs on IFL and it is perfectly legal. IFL is designed for running Linux or Linux under z/VM. z/VM on IFLs is much cheaper then on CPs. What license doesn't allow is running
z/OS under z/VM on IFLs.
All specialty engines are here to allow you running new workload. Linux on IFL, Java on zAAP, DB2 on zIIP. If you are on z890, all specialty engines
run full speed regardless of CP speed.
If you have Java code, try to run estimator how much of that code would run
on zAAP. It shows you how much of CP time you save.

Marian Gasparovic
IBM Slovakia

Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
http://mail.netscape.com