From: "Chase, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Last upgrade in my small shop cost for just ISV software was
> $300,000 in just upgrade fees.  I didn't need to change one
> piece of code.  That's hard to defend.

To put it bluntly, it's indefensible.

    -jc-

Gouging by ISV's is a large part of the reason why mainframes are seen by many as being uncompetitive. It has to stop. Fortunately, IBM has realized this and has started competing directly against some of the "offending" ISV's with products of its own. Witness for example the new line of IBM File Manager products, which generally cost a fraction of what it costs to license competing ISV products.

Having said that, not all ISV's try to gouge their customers. I know of at least one ISV that charges a remarkably low flat rate for all of their software, regardless of size or speed of mainframe.

Dave Salt