In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 04/23/2006
   at 06:08 PM, "John S. Giltner, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>"Any OS can support the hardware clock for the platform it is running
>on  to be set to local time or UTC."

>Where did I imply that a OS can support hardware that is not
>there?

The text that you quoted above, because some hardware platforms do not
contain a hardware clock that can be set to either.

>I said that it can support what the platform supplies.

You said more than that; you made a claim as to how it could be set.

>Again, I stated that OS can support what the platform supplies.

Again, you stated more than that.

>So a TOD clock does not supply the time of day?

Red herrings! Get your red herrings while they're fresh. I didn't say
that the TOD clock can't supply the time of day; I said that tw
different pieces of hardware weren't supplying the same function.

>However that is one of the functions it does do and that  function
>can be compared with hardware clocks on other platforms (at  least
>those platforms that supply hardware clocks).

Only with some of the platforms that supply hardware clocks.

>I did go and read the POP and it seems to imply that the TOD clock
>only provides the time  of day.  That there are two other timers
>that do the clock comparator  and CPU synchronization and that these
>three clocks together provide the  timer functions for z/Series
>hardware.

There are only two timing facilities; CPU and TOD. The clock
comparator compares the value in the TOD clock.

>Again, according to the POP, some of the other functions you mention
>are  not provided by the TOD clock, but by other clocks all
>considered part  of the mainframe timer facilities.

There is nothing in the PoOps about a third clock.

>Is the TOD clock like a RTC/CMOS clock?

Which? The PC has several different timing facilities.