Phil Payne wrote:
SNAPSHOT: Please join us for an IBM System z9 Business Class announcement
on Thursday, April 27 at 16:30 UK.

Who thinks of these things, and do they have ANY contact with reality?

OK, guys.  We've had an increasingly tough time over the past couple of
decades, mostly
because of IBM's software price gouging.  Not to mention its asshole lawyer.

But c'mon - when was the last time a paid mainframe employee flew "Business
Class" at company
expense?

I thought "bc" stood for "Business Computer".  Now that makes a bit of sense.  But
"Business
Class"?

You get there just the same, but pay 60% more and get a free orange juice.

Agreed completely!

The problem stems from the extremely poor choice of "System z9" as a brand name. (The "IBM System z9 109" was obviously named by someone in IBM's Department of Redundancy Department!) By putting the number "9" into the brand name, they broke the quite reasonable zSeries convention of using "9" for the big machines and "8" for the mid-size offering. So they decided to come up with the naming convention weirdness (presumably) being unveiled this week...

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc