I've got a question for the group-at-large, which I hope
will be obvious to someone deeply in-the-know.

I've got a program that opens a VB PDS (RECFM=VB,BLKSIZE=2550,LRECL=255).

But - note that I said it opens the PDS, not a member of the PDS.  That
open succeeds, and presumably, the program will merrily try to
read the PDS directory as Format-V records.

So - the first read succeeds, and it gets these bytes back for
the first 6:

        000EFFFF  FFFF
        | BDW  | | RDW ....

The BDW indicates a block-len of 14, but the 'reserved' bytes are not 00.
The RDW then indicates a record length of 65535 - which is preposterous
given that the BDW said the entire block-len was only 14.

And - of course, trying to read 65531 bytes for the remaining record
doesn't work, because they aren't there.  The 14 isn't there either.

OK - admittedly - walking thru the directory entries and trying
to interpret that as VB isn't the best thing in the world... but,
what's a program "to do" with what the user types.

Should it look at the lrecl/blksize in the DCB and decide that
this doesn't make sense?  What if it did make sense - then what?

Or - is there a way to know this is a bunch of bytes from a
PDS directory... and this READ doesn't make sense?

        - Many thanks! -
        - Dave Rivers -

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe programming tools at http://www.dignus.com