In a recent note, Gilbert Saint-Flour said:

> Date:         Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:03:42 -0400
>
> My understanding (I may be wrong) is that support for //DD:ddname was a
> by-product of a change in one of the C routines used by the FTP client,
> i.e. it's not something that resulted from a change in the code for the
> FTP client itself. ISTR //DD:ddname was introduced in OS/390 R9 or R10.
> A few releases later (z/OS 1.2 IIRC), VSAM support became available in
> the FTP client through the same mechanism, but it's neither documented
> not supported.  Again, this is my understanding, don't take my word for
> it.

It may have originated that way, but nowadays it's not that simple.
The behavior is discernibly (and irritatingly) different depending
on whether ddname is allocated to a Classic data set or to a UNIX
file.  Apparently FTP doesn't simply OPEN and QSAM GET/PUT on the
ddname.  Another unwarranted deviation from the S/360 model of I/O
abstraction.

-- gil
--
StorageTek