In a recent note, Thomas David Rivers said:

> Date:         Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:18:39 -0400
>
>   So - I suppose - what's the best way to ask "Hey - is this at
>   all a reasonable thing to be trying a VB-read on?"

My inclination would be to verify:

o DSORG != PO in the DCB after OPEN.  (But DON'T try to enforce
  DSORG == PS, because that is not set if DDNAME is allocated to
  a UNIX file.)

o BDW consistent with BLKSIZE, and no invalid flag bits set.

o RDW consistent with LRECL (and with BDW), and no invalid
  flag bits set.

(most of which QSAM does NOT verify)  If all tests pass, then
give the user what he asked for.  If any fail, indicate an
I/O error.

Now, suppose the user attempts to open for OUTPUT?  Wnat's a
good way to avoid trashing the PDS directory?

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL